Oswald Medical Centre set to open new surgery site offering improved patient care and experience
The new main surgery site will be known as ‘Oswald Medical Centre’ is currently undergoing the final stages of renovation. We will confirm the opening date as soon as possible following formal sign offs from the Care Quality Commission.
Oswald Medical Centre is a GP Practice set over multiple sites, serving over 15,000 patients from Hyndburn and the surrounding areas. The opening follows a lengthy consultation process to notify patients of the change and move to the new premises.
Dr Rakesh Sharma said
“The pandemic has meant we cannot have the grand opening we had planned on having from the start, over two years ago but this does not mean we cannot celebrate a significant achievement for the Practice and our patients. The new site is modern, spacious and well equipped and we are confident that patients will value and appreciate the new space we have created”.
The surgery has been busy throughout the pandemic but is now looking forward to offering a modern, fully refurbished surgery comprising of:
- 11 fully equipped clinical rooms (5 on the ground floor for easy access and two with fully electric examination beds for disabled patients) and 6 on the First Floor
- A lift to the first floor
- Self-check in arrivals unit
- LCD patient information screen
- Parking on site (including disabled parking)
- Full disabled access and disabled toilet facilities
- Two reception desks / spacious patient waiting areas to help keep patients spread out and prevent the transmission of infection
- A fully equipped meeting room for staff meetings and training and for group
- A dementia friendly colour scheme – chosen by our patients and Reception staff
- A main base for our administrative team and a ‘Reception telephone pool’ room for our Receptionists to help deal with telephone queries and requests
- A main base for our prescribing team including our new Primary Care Network Pharmacists
- New Services – First Contact Physiotherapist
As part of the refurbishments, the Practice has implemented a COVID secure workplace for employees and enhanced infection, prevention and control measures (including sanitation stations) throughout the site, which will help to keep patients safe during appointment visits.
Dr Manjooran, one of the GP Partners at the Practice said:
“We pride ourselves at the Practice in providing high quality patient care. The new site enables us to do this with surroundings to match’.
The new site has gained the approval of the Practice’s Patient Participation Group (PPG) and the practice has listened and acted on the group’s suggestions. One PPG member remarked how impressive the new building is and that the new site will be welcomed by patients.
Rita Naylor, Senior Business Development Manager, has been working with NHS England and the CCG on this move over the last 2 years. She said
“The late nights and hard work in getting this site completed are definitely worth it. We now feel we have the three GP modern and patient friendly practice sites which we are proud of and which our valued patients deserve. Once COVID restrictions ease, we hope to be introducing new services in the not so distant future including an In-House Pharmacist, First Contact Physiotherapist and other new services which will play an important role in helping and assisting our patients stay independent, with care close to home”
The Practice is hoping to start welcoming patients sometime in March after the Care Quality Commission have inspected the premises.
- Please see oswaldmedicalcentre.co.uk for photos of the build progress.
- The site is nearing completion and will be inspected by CQC on 24th
- Our Pritchard Street site was completely renovated 10 years ago and is unaffected by the move
- Our Oswaldtwistle site was completely renovated in September 2019 and is unaffected by the move. All practice staff that patients know and trust will continue working over the 3 sites. There are no staffing changes planned as part of the move.