East lancs CCG logo

| | | |  


On Friday 1st July 2022 clinical commissioning groups (CCG's) across the country were closed and were replaced by new NHS organisations known as Integrated Care Boards.

Therefore, NHS East Lancashire CCG no longer exists and has been replaced (along with the othe seven CCGs in Lancashire and South Cumbria) by the new NHS Lancashire and South Cumbria Integrated Care Board (ICB)

Please visit the new ICB website

New students offered vital health advice from their local NHS

Students studying at University of Central Lancashire, Burnley Campus are being offered useful health advice from the local NHS.

For some students this will be the first time that they have moved away from home and although it is an exciting time it is really important that they look after their health and follow NHS advice.

One of the most important things is to register with a local GP. If, like most students, you spend more time at your university/college address than your home address, it’s really important that you register with a GP practice. There are numerous GP practices in Burnley and to find out where your nearest GP practice is visit www.nhs.uk and search ‘how to register with a GP practice’.

For those students living on campus, you may find that your nearest GP practice is located in St Peters Health Care Centre, 42 Church St, Burnley, BB11 2DL.

Once you register with your GP, you are then registered for your entire time at University and you do not need to register again whilst studying in Burnley.

By registering with a GP practice, you can receive emergency care if you need it and access health services quickly and easily while studying. It is especially important you are registered with a GP if you have an ongoing health condition, such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy.

Access to mental health support if needed: The first year at university is a big change and can be quite stressful for many students. You can access mental health support at:

  • Lancashire Wellbeing and Mental Health Helpline, open 365 days a year ‑Monday – Friday 7.00pm until 11.00pm; Saturday & Sunday – 12.00pm until Midnight. Call: 0800 915 4640
  • Kooth — for young people under 20 offering safe, online support 365 days a year https://www.kooth.com/
  • Samaritans – available 24/7, call 116 123 or email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Calm – a helpline and webchat for men who need to talk or find information. Open 5pm – midnight every day. Call 0800 58 58 58 or visit www.thecalmzone.net/help/get-help/

Getting ill during the holidays: If you become unwell when you’re back at home or away from university then you can still contact your nearest GP practice where you can receive treatment for 14 days.

Important to register with a dentist: Dental problems can’t be dealt with by doctors, so it is really important that students register with a dentist. You can find a dentist online: www.nhs.uk/Service-Search

Not all treatment is free even under the NHS. However, you may be able to apply for help with dental costs online: www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/get-help-with-dental-costs/

For emergency dental treatment when your dentist is closed: you can call the Emergency Dental Helpline on 0300 1234 010.

There are a series of vaccinations that are available to students. The Men ACWY vaccine, which protects against four different causes of meningitis and septicaemia is available to all 17-and-18-year olds in school and first-time university students up to the age of 25.

All university and colleges advise their students to be immunised against mumps before beginning their studies. Most children will have had this immunisation as part of their routine childhood MMR vaccine immunisation for mumps, measles and rubella. However, if unsure, please speak to your GP.

Each year over the winter months, the NHS strongly recommends that people protect themselves from the flu with the annual flu vaccination. This vaccination is especially important if you have a long-term health condition, such as asthma, diabetes or kidney disease and in this instance will be available at no cost from your GP practice. Otherwise, it is available at a very small cost from any number of community pharmacies.

Burnley GP and clinical lead for unscheduled care at East Lancashire Clinical Commissioning Group, Dr David White, said:

“Starting university is an incredibly exciting time, but it is vitally important that students take the time to register with a GP and dentist and ensure that they protect themselves from common illnesses.

“What many students don’t realise is that once you have registered with a GP practice then you don’t have to do so again, even if you go home for summer, Easter or winter holidays. Once you’ve registered then you have your GP for the whole of your university life.

“Once you have registered with a GP and dentist, it is important to make sure that you protect yourself from common and sometimes serious illnesses by visiting your GP and receiving your Men ACWY and flu vaccine and checking that you have already had your MMR vaccine.”

Further information is available on the NHS website by searching ‘getting medical care as a student’ at www.nhs.uk.