East lancs CCG logo

| | | |  


On Friday 1st July 2022 clinical commissioning groups (CCG's) across the country were closed and were replaced by new NHS organisations known as Integrated Care Boards.

Therefore, NHS East Lancashire CCG no longer exists and has been replaced (along with the othe seven CCGs in Lancashire and South Cumbria) by the new NHS Lancashire and South Cumbria Integrated Care Board (ICB)

Please visit the new ICB website

Stay well and choose wisely this February half term

February half term has started and doctors in Pennine Lancashire are reminding parents to familiarise themselves with the full range of NHS services available to them should their children become ill.

Sometimes it can be difficult to know what to do for the best when a child comes down with an illness or suffers an injury, but there are a number of different options available from the NHS to suit different circumstances.

Dr David White, Clinical Lead for Urgent Care NHS Blackburn with Darwen and East Lancs Clinical Commissioning Groups, said:

“If you or your child become ill or if you suffer an injury while your GP or pharmacist is closed you can call NHS 111, the NHS’s non-emergency number, which is available 24 hours a day they are also now available online at 111.nhs.uk. Here you can talk to a highly trained adviser who will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and immediately direct you to the best medical care for your needs.

“For other minor injuries or illnesses that won’t wait until your GP surgery is open, you can access a wealth of information and resources online at nhs.uk.”

Make sure you chose the right service when you need help for your child and familiarise yourself with these NHS services:

  •  Call NHS 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation. The service is available 24 hours a day and calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. You can also call NHS 111 if you’re not sure which NHS service you need.
  • Visit a local minor injuries unit or urgent care centre if you have a minor injury and it won’t wait until your GP surgery is open. Visit www.nhs.uk and type in your postcode or town to find your nearest urgent care facility.
  • Ask your local pharmacist for advice on common minor illnesses such as diarrhoea, minor infections, headache, travel advice or sore throats.
  • See your GP if you are feeling unwell and it is not an emergency.
  • Only visit A&E for life-threatening emergencies.

The Common Childhood Illnesses handbook is an extensive and informative guide for parents and carers of children, from birth to five years old, to use when assessing and managing their children with minor conditions such as:

  • Teething problems
  • Dry skin and rashes
  • Ear problems
  • Fever
  • Chicken pox and measles
  • Bumps and bruises
  • Coughs and colds

View the Guide for Parents and Carers on Common Childhood Illnesses and Wellbeing via tinyurl.com/elccg-childhood-illnesses