East lancs CCG logo

| | |  

  • News
  • Flooding: useful information and contacts

Flooding: useful information and contacts

If there is an immediate risk to life or you or someone else is trapped by flood water please call the emergency services on 999.

If you wish to report a flooding or the risk of flooding call the Extended Floodline Service on 0845 988 1188.

During widespread flooding the fire and rescue service is very busy and will prioritise its attendance to emergencies where there is a risk to life.  If you or anyone else, is trapped by floodwater or your home is severely affected, call 999 and you will be rescued.

Additional help, such as sandbags, may be available from your district council. You can access their websites below:

Ribble Valley

If there is flooding from highway drainage, surface water, groundwater or watercourses:

  • Call Lancashire County Council on 0300 123 6780
  • Or contact your District Council as above, who may also be able to help.

Flooding from main river or coastal waters:

For the latest forecast and flood warnings, information and advice on protecting your home and what to do in the event of flooding:

  • Call the Environment Agency on 0845 988 1188

Flooding from sewers or burst water mains — contact your water provider:

  • Call United Utilities — 0845 746 2200
  • Call Yorkshire Water — 0800 57 3553

Flood alerts and warnings:

You can access more information about flood warnings in the North West here.

How to prepare for and deal with flooding:

You can find advice about preparing for a flood, what to do during a flood, and dealing with the after effects of a flood from the  Environment Agency here and here.  You can also obtain more information from the National Flood Forum here

You can download Public Health’s Advice to the Public here: Public Health England –flood_leaflet_2015_final.  You can download the Government’s advice on safely cleaning up after a flood here: Flooding_how_to_clean_up_your_house_safely

All households in the Ribble Valley area that were flooded in recent storms will automatically receive a minimum payment of £500 from funding provided to Lancashire by central government.  More information is available here.  In addition to this flat £500 payment, those households in greatest need can also apply to the Lancashire Community Foundation for additional support.  You can find out more here.