Common childhood illnesses & well-being
A guide for parents and carers
A guide to services

A guide to services

Here in Lancashire we have a wide range of healthcare professionals.

See below which professional is best to help you.

Self care


Many illnesses can be treated in your home by using over the counter medicine from your pharmacist and getting plenty of rest. Self-care is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses and injuries.

If you are still worried contact NHS 111 or your GP.


NHS 111

NHS 111 is the service which makes it easier for you to access local health services. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. If you need urgent healthcare, you should call NHS 111 before you go to any other service. By calling NHS 111 you will be directed straightaway to the local service that can help you best. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

When should I call NHS 111?

  • When you need help fast but it is not life threatening.

  • When you are unsure that you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service.

  • When it is outside of GP surgery hours.

  • When you are visiting the area.

  • When you do not know who to call for medical help.



Local chemists or pharmacists have knowledge of most everyday health issues.

They can suggest the best medicine to help.

There are often chemists in supermarkets and many are open late.

Visit where you can find the service locator that will help you find the pharmacist nearest to you.


Doctor or GP

You will need to register with a GP - to find a GP in your area, use the NHS Choices Find Services System at:

Your GP can advise, give medicines and information on other services. You will need to make an appointment but most GPs will see a baby quite quickly if you are worried. After 6.30pm weekdays, at weekends and public holidays most services are covered by the NHS 111 service.

Health visitor

Health visitor

The health visitor takes over your care from your midwife. The health visitor is there to support you and your family. They are there to support you when you need them. They will visit you at home or see you in a clinic and can offer support and advice and can tell you where to get extra help if you need it. They are part of a team of nurses and nursery nurses who are there to support you during the early years.


Accident & Emergency (A&E)

For serious and life-threatening emergencies, please call 999.

A&E and 999 are emergency services that should only be used when babies and children are badly injured or show symptoms of critical illness. These may be choking or breathing difficulties, being unconscious or unaware of surroundings, taken poison or tablets, severe abdominal pain.

Walk-In Centre

There are Walk-In Centres in Lancashire - see useful contacts for more details.